The Fare Device Functional and Technical Specification was developed in response to the rapid changes occurring throughout the taxi and hire car industries.
The specification introduces new functions and capabilities to improve the customer experience, and to provide greater assurance in the calculation of fares, and the provision of government requirements, including:
- GPS monitoring, including real-time reporting of vehicle location
- Audio announcements (for the vision impaired)
- Processing subsidised fares (the travel needs of members with severe and permanent disabilities are subsidised)
- Supporting different, discounted or flat fares
- Automatically applying a toll amount to the fare.
The specification is focused on performance-based functional and technical outcomes, allowing fare devices to keep pace with the latest developments in technology – as well as the expectations of customers.
The specification forms part of newly proposed regulations, which have been developed by the Victorian Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Transport and Resources (DEDJTR) and the TSC, to significantly reduce regulatory burden for the industry while retaining public safety and consumer protections.
The specification is also set to be used in other jurisdictions to support the roll-out of reforms to the taxi and hire car industries.
To discuss your access to the functional and technical specification, please contact us.