In this section
Approval of telematics devices
TCA grants approval for telematics devices against the Telematics Device Functional and Technical Specification.
Approval may be in the form of type-approval or an equivalent approval mechanism acceptable to TCA. The service provider must meet applicable requirements in the functional and technical specification, irrespective of the approval mechanism.
- Level 1: Self-assessment of performance-based requirements (lowest assurance)
- Level 2: Independent assessment of performance-based requirements, including type-approval of device and certification of service providers (medium assurance)
- Level 3: Independent assessment of the performance-based requirements, including type-approval of device, certification of service providers and certificate-based evidence (highest assurance).
The Telematics Device Functional and Technical Specification contains requirements for telematics devices used at Level 2 Assurance or Level 3 Assurance. Telematics devices suitable for use only at Level 1 Assurance have minimal requirements and are incorporated in the application functional and technical specification.
A telematics device suitable for use at a higher level of assurance can also be used in applications at lower levels of assurance. For example, a telematics device used in an application at Level 3 Assurance can also be used in applications at Level 2 and Level 1 Assurance.
Certificate of Conformance
A Certificate of Conformance for each TCA-approved telematics device will be made available by the service provider (or associated agent, distributor or retailer) at the point of supply to transport operators of each telematics device.
The current cost to the service provider for each certificate of conformance is $20 (excl GST).
The growing use of telematics makes it vital for stakeholders to demand greater confidence in and assurance of their devices. Type-approved telematics devices have been subjected to independent assessment by TCA, allowing stakeholders to make informed procurement decisions.
The type-approval process provides confidence and assurance in a telematics device’s reliability, accuracy, integrity and security capabilities, and distinguishes those that satisfy the requirements of the specification from others in the market. A certificate of conformance accompanies all type-approved telematics devices.
- Telematics Device Functional and Technical Specification
- Interconnectivity of Telematics Device with Other Systems Functional and Technical Specification
Last updated on 4 May 2021