On this page
TCA grants approval for telematics devices against the Telematics Device Functional and Technical Specification.
Approval of telematics devices
Approval may be in the form of type-approval or an equivalent approval mechanism acceptable to TCA. The service provider must meet applicable requirements in the functional and technical specification, irrespective of the approval mechanism.
- Level 1: Self-assessment of performance-based requirements (lowest assurance)
- Level 2: Independent assessment of performance-based requirements, including type-approval of device and certification of service providers (medium assurance)
- Level 3: Independent assessment of the performance-based requirements, including type-approval of device, certification of service providers and certificate-based evidence (highest assurance).
The Telematics Device Functional and Technical Specification contains requirements for telematics devices used at Level 2 Assurance or Level 3 Assurance. Telematics devices suitable for use only at Level 1 Assurance have minimal requirements and are incorporated in the application functional and technical specification.
A telematics device suitable for use at a higher level of assurance can also be used in applications at lower levels of assurance. For example, a telematics device used in an application at Level 3 Assurance can also be used in applications at Level 2 and Level 1 Assurance.
The growing use of telematics makes it vital for stakeholders to demand greater confidence in and assurance of their devices. Type-approved telematics devices have been subjected to independent assessment by TCA, allowing stakeholders to make informed procurement decisions.
The type-approval process provides confidence and assurance in a telematics device’s reliability, accuracy, integrity and security capabilities, and distinguishes those that satisfy the requirements of the specification from others in the market. A certificate of conformance accompanies all type-approved telematics devices.
- Telematics Device Functional and Technical Specification
- Interconnectivity of Telematics Device with Other Systems Functional and Technical Specification
Last updated on May 25th, 2020