Transport operators of vehicles under Victoria’s High Productivity Freight Vehicle (HPFV) permit can operate with increased payloads and access new parts of the Victorian HPFV network.
Refer to the Department of Transport information sheet for more information on HPFVs:
One of the conditions of access to the network is telematics monitoring of HPFVs. Transport operators may opt for eligible vehicles to be monitored under the Telematics Monitoring Application (TMA) or the Intelligent Access Program (IAP), or both, as described below.
High Productivity Freight Vehicle Monitoring Schemes
There are two High Productivity Freight Vehicle (HPFV) Monitoring schemes as follows:
|Scheme||Associated Application||Level of Assurance|
|TMA HPFV Monitoring Scheme||TMA||2|
|IAP HPFV Monitoring Scheme||IAP||3|
The schemes are administered by the Department of Transport, Victoria, to permit access of eligible HPFVs on approved routes of the Victorian road network:
To participate in one or both schemes, transport operators must conform with the requirements specified within a Class 2 permit issued by the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator (NHVR). Enrolment in the TMA or IAP application, or both, is one of these requirements.
To offer services for either scheme, an application service provider (ASP) must be certified by TCA to offer TMA or IAP. TCA will also approve:
- Telematics devices used in the applicable scheme. The telematics device will generate position records and report them to TCA.
- Smart OBM systems (used in the TMA HPFV Monitoring Scheme only). The Smart OBM system will generate mass and configuration records and report them to TCA.
Unless required by law, TCA will destroy the telematics data it has received relating to the transport operator’s nominated vehicle(s) 12 months from its receipt of the data.
TCA will analyse data received through the TMA or IAP application, and make reports available via the Telematics Analytics Platform (TAP).
Enrolment in TMA or IAP HPFV Monitoring Schemes
Transport operators may choose to enrol eligible vehicles in one or both schemes as shown in the figure below, noting that:
- Location is monitored through enrolment in the TMA or IAP HPFV Monitoring Scheme, as selected by the transport operator.
- Mass is monitored only through enrolment in the TMA HPFV Monitoring Scheme.
If eligible vehicles are already enrolled in the IAP HPFV Monitoring Scheme:
- Enrolment may be cancelled in the IAP HPFV Monitoring Scheme and commenced in the TMA HPFV Monitoring Scheme, or
- Enrolment may be retained in the IAP HPFV Monitoring Scheme and commenced in the TMA HPFV Monitoring Scheme (i.e. enrolment may be in both schemes).
If eligible vehicles are not enrolled in the IAP HPFV Monitoring Scheme, they may be enrolled in the TMA HPFV Monitoring Scheme or the IAP HPFV Monitoring Scheme.
For more information on this scheme, please contact us.
Last updated on 3 May 2021