On-Board Mass System Functional and Technical Specification
On this page
About the specification
On-Board Mass (OBM) systems can measure the mass of axle groups and calculate the gross vehicle mass of a vehicle.
OBM systems are often referred to as on-board weigh scales or electronic weighing systems, and are widely used across the surface transport sector for commercial, contractual and regulatory purposes.
TCA has established performance-based functional and technical requirements for OBM systems, which are contained in the On-Board Mass System Functional and Technical Specification.
The specification contains requirements for:
- Physical characteristics
- Environmental characteristics
- Data collection
- Record generation
- Data storage
- Data security and transfer
- Interconnection to a telematics device
- Installation, calibration, operation and maintenance.
How you can use the specification
The On-Board Mass System Functional and Technical Specification may be used for the following broad purposes:
- For suppliers assessing current on-board mass (OBM) systems
- For suppliers considering type-approval
- For transport operators assessing current OBM systems (already fitted to vehicles)
- For transport operators comparing different OBM systems (when procuring new OBM systems)
- For transport operators entering into business arrangements with suppliers of OBM systems (by demanding that OBM systems satisfy the requirements of the specification when preparing tenders and contracts).
Alternatively, transport operators can purchase OBM systems that have been type-approved by TCA.
For further information please contact us.
You can also call us on (03) 8601 4600.
Categories of OBM systems
The specification contains requirements for three OBM system categories, which cater to different needs of different users.
For more information on the categories of OBM Systems, please visit Type-Approved OBM systems.